Tuesday 20 December 2011

That's All Folks!

We are now down to... umm, 5 days before Christmas everyone!
I just wanted to take the opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas just in case I didn't get to post something again before the big day.  I hope that I will, but you can never be too sure with those kind of things.

My table's set-up:
Above is a painting that I made a while back, I think that it was sometime last winter.  Anyhow, it was one of the pieces of artwork that I took with me when I went to that Christmas event at one of the high schools in my district on December 7th, and was probably one of my works that received the most comments.

There was such a rush for me to get everything gathered together that night, even after two to three weeks of preparation, that I was literally just throwing things into a book bag, zippering it up and leaving the house, not knowing if I had remembered to pack everything I needed or not.  Luckily for me, I had.


There were some interesting remarks made about my artwork, and some rather awkward and intriguing reactions:
       Some walked around my table as though in a hurry, some approached, stood there for a bit, said nothing and then walked away as though they had seen nothing or had nothing to say, others startled me by tiptoeing there way shyly over to my table as though they were trying not to wake a sleeping giant or otherwise planing to do something illegal, and then piped up suddenly by yelling "Gee sir! These paintings are real swell!" almost knocking me out of my chair mind you.  A group of young girls came along and bickered over which frame they thought was better, which I didn't mind besides for the headache it gave me.  There were I couple of people who asked "if I knew so-and-so, even though it was highly unlikely that I would ever know so-and-so, but they thought that it would be good just to ask if I knew so-and-so, because that particular so-and-so knew another so-and-so who did art", meh... I just said "no?"  Some were actually really helpful though and gave me a good insight as to where I need to improve my art.  There was a lady there who had worked with my mother before, and knew her quite well, that recommended that I get in touch with an old neighbor of hers who moved to somewhere in Ontario and was a well known Canadian artist for his colourful and highly visual narrative paintings.  This, I liked.

I had a bit of trouble in trying to get people to take a handout with them as they went, so I had to put my sign-making skills to the test rate on the spot.  This is what I came up with.  It was a long sheet of paper that was looped and folded on the back so that it sat in a shape of a triangle; until I had made this, I had virtually no takers.  Of the ones I cut out and stapled together, only four were left.  Yet, I still managed to print too much by having seven sheets of them, both in colour and in black and white, to take home with me when I left.  Oh, darn!  I hate feeling wasteful, but I do suppose that it is better than having too little to give.

Things went by so quickly, but, IT WAS GREAT!!  The fact that it went by so fast was partially my fault, having shown up so late, yet I can't held but to seek for more satisfaction.  This surely will not be my last exhibition of my art, so I can look forward to doing something like again, by all means.  I will also have a better understanding of what to expect for next time.

If anything, this was a major confidence booster.  It helped to affirm my ability in art and self reliance to both me and my parents, and we are very grateful for all of the lovely comments we received.
Thanks to all who came~!

It's funny, actually, how the number of Russian views I get has taken a jump.  It's all because of me mentioning there being a town in Kosovo bearing the same name as one of the main settings in my comic.  Maybe I should consider adding Russian to the list of languages I want to learn to write and speak before I die?  Hmm, who knows when that may come in handy?!

Speaking about death, I just realized something!  A year and one day from now, the sun is said to explode...!  Hmm, perhaps that dampens the mood a little too much... Umm, "Marry Christmas! Hoho-haha-ahum" [coughs] ...Yeah.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

All of your comments are greatly appreciated!

Popular Posts