Friday 25 November 2011

Too Late for Halloween?

       Okay, so I know that it's nearing the end of November and all, but I really wanted to share this little image I did specifically for my website and comic with you all before it got too late:


       I decided to do something a little "holiday-themed" for my blog, and I guess this was the result.  I just wasn't feeling enough in the Halloween Spirit (if there is such a thing?) and I find now that doing something art related usually helps.
       This was my first real educated and purposeful event in using copic markers (I had to consult our overlord YouTube for some assistance) but, I think that I pulled things off quite nicely.  Don`t you think?
       My particular interest in doing this image was how I would preform and go about doing all of the shading and the lines of the pumpkin; I think that in the end, the pumpkin has become the real centerpiece and focus point of the drawing.  You see, pumpkins were always a challenge for me to draw in elementary.  I mean, most of the other students in my class, they would just try and draw them completely round, like circles, but I would never stand for just that.  It use to drive me up the wall!  I knew, because I was always such an observant boy, that pumpkins are not perfectly round at all.  They'er not just circles! There is much more to a pumpkin than that!  Heck, I'd even go as far as to say that they were rectangular and square-shaped when you take their dimensions when copied onto a flat sheet of paper into account.  But I think what really got to me the most were the lines; those individual bands of creamcicle-orange, oh! They seemed to scream out and taunt at me above all the rest of the physical features that make the pumpkin such a mind-boggling and strenuous task to draw.
       I think what present me knows and what past me didn't, is perspective.  Once you understand how to apply perspective and viewpoint to a pumpkin, drawing it becomes a much simpler task.  Just ask any good artist, and they'll tell you that perspective is "key" and plays quite a vital role in many forms of art.

       Here, I was going to write some kind of story of how my Halloween went this year, but I think that it's too far behind me now to even bother.  It's not like anything particularly exciting happened to me this Halloween anyhow.  I suppose that I could have used some of my excellent story telling skills to whip something up that would scare the past off ya! ...But I think that I will save that for next year.

       The only thing that's really scaring me now is the sound of my voice!  My throat hasn't been so good this week and I actually end up spending a day at home, away from school, because of it.  I went to a local community college on a field trip this Monday and I have to admit it was pretty pathetic how much I had to strain my voice in order to ask questions.  This really wasn't any sort of a guided tour, more of a free-range sort of thing, which I found to be very neat by the way, (WHILST OTHERS ABUSED THIS! you tell me, since when has it been that the pizza restaurant across the street has become part of the university?! hmm?) ''XP  and even though me and my friend I was touring with didn't get to visit all of the places we wanted to, we still learned a lot of information on the courses available to us through our local option.

       I am thinking about doing some wintery scenes soon.  There is a local Christmas event coming up that I would really like to take part in, and I am not going to say much about it just yet, only that I am seriously taking it into consideration, and that you can expect to see some major-minor tidying up of my blog over the next two weeks before this thing gets underway.  However, I will tell you this;

Upcoming posts are going to be about something really neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All of your comments are greatly appreciated!

Popular Posts